Monday, August 11, 2014

Relaxing in Maine

On the 4th I did 8.1 miles and stayed at Avery Memorial Campsite. On the 5th I did 9.8 miles and stayed at Flagstaff Lake campsite. On the 6th I did 15.1 miles and stayed at Pierce Pond Lean-to. On the 7th I did 9.7 miles and stayed at Pleasant Pond Lean-to. On the 8th I did 13.1 miles and stayed at Moxie Bald Mountain Lean-to. On the 9th I did 17.9 miles and stayed at the LakeHouse hostel in Monson. On the 10th and the 11th I zeroed at the hostel cause it was nice.

So this section is defined by going nice and slow and just enjoying the trail. There are a plethora of lakes and ponds throughout these miles and I have enjoyed taking breaks at them everyday. The only thing that could improve this section is the fact it rains absolutely everyday.

The peaks of Bigelow were amazing as usual and Avery Memorial campsite remains one of my favorites on the entire trail. It is at a very high elevation for New England and the air just feels different. The views from the top weren't bad either.



Going up Bigelow there was a sign on a tree that felt pretty good to see. I can imagine it being a completely different experience for the southbounders.


Here are some other random shots from the past week.





Guess which direction I was heading. As a hint I got a bit wet before stopping.


I've fully resupplied for the 100 mile wilderness. This is what food for six days looks like for me.


There are only 114 miles left of the trail. It will probably take me seven days to finish it off. That isn't going to be too tough, but it is a bit more miles then this last week. So I don't have to carry more food I guess I'll actually hike more seriously for the next few days. I've been thinking a lot about doing another long distance hike in the coming years. If I can make it work I would love to do the Te Araroa but I think it is a bit more feasible to do the PCT which I also want to do. Long distance hiking is a ton of fun and if nothing else comes up in life I could definitely see me doing another trail.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shots. Glad you weren't sidelined by that whatever it was, bug.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete