Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Last Night in Georgia

First off I would like to say it has been great reading comments and emails from people. I don't respond mainly to conserve battery life on my phone and because I just go to sleep at night. I do get them all and enjoy reading them and just wanted people to know that.

It's been a few days since my last post but that is mainly because nothing outrageous has happened. From low gap I had a relatively easy day to the top of rocky mt. Rocky mt itself was tough but I think that is mainly because it came after 10 miles. The rest of the day was mostly gentle slopes. It was still 11.7 miles though which left most of the group pretty tired. I had a nice hour long rest at a great viewpoint on top before other people got there though. (The photo with the was takn there. I'm trying this method since my app likes to mess with the order of photos.)

In the morning, after eating breakfast and brushing my teeth with the same great view (photo below), I trekked on to deep gap shelter. This day was pretty strenuous since it involved constant ups and downs and also ended with the steepest section of trail in Georgia, Kelly Knob. It was worth it though because the shelter at deep gap was the most amazing shelter yet. It actually had four walls! In my book that basically makes it a cabin. I broke my tenting streak and stayed in the loft of this shelter which made the pack up time great this morning. Below is a photo of both the shelter and some of the crew. To put some names to people we have ultraviolet with the purple bandana, bunny with the short sleeve blue shirt, button is behind bunny, mr incredible is getting something from his bag, Emily is behind him (I think, she is hard to see in the photo) and Elastigirl is sitting on the step.

Today we all took a nero (near zero mile day) and hiked the 4 miles to dicks creek gap that has a shuttle to Hiawassee. In Hiawassee we are all splitting 2 rooms at the budget inn. It was nice to have a shower and do laundry once again. It was also amazing to eat all you can eat Chinese buffet for lunch and all you can eat southern cooking buffet for dinner. The best part of dinner was a salad bar, so many veggies! Tomorrow morning it's back to the trail and hoping to get in 12 miles to another shelter. It should be quite the moral boost when we leave Georgia after 9ish miles tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like you're having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the details -- I must say you're doing a great job documenting everything! Now, tomorrow when you get back to the trail, it looks like the trail crosses a highway. How does that work? Is there a pedestrian bridge? On to North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the pics of the shelter. After reading the book the pics make it so much more real. The views are amazing. I am glad to hear you are getting to eat all you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your aunt must think you are crossing a California freeway... :-{)
    Good to have a few of the details of how you got to Hiwassee. Yesterday's phone call was a great surprise. Good to hear your voice. Even though neither of us are very good 'phone people', it was great to talk with you. It makes it clear that I'm gonna miss you over the next 5-6 months.
    Take care. Keep up the writing so we can continue to vicariously hike the AT.

    ReplyDelete