Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Smokies

So leaving the NOC was an 8 mile climb uphill. Overall I didn't think it was really that bad, I think my hiking legs are starting to come in. At the first shelter we decided that we had some in us so we pushed to Locus cove gap to camp, about a 12 mile day. While there some of the wolf pack caught up to us. The wolf pack is a large hiker bubble that has been traveling up the trail. Their attitude seems to semi-mimic a really friendly fraternity. They seem nice enough but they tend to stay up later then me so it is a bit of a change of pace.

The next day we did almost 11 miles to cable gap shelter. This set us up for a nice, easy 6 mile day into Fontana. More of the wolf pack caught us here, Atlas played his guitar into the night and they would all howl every time someone else rolled into camp. I think there was roughly 20-25 members there by the time everyone was there.

The next day was foggy but once I climbed out of the fog it made for a pretty amazing view (photo below). Besides that it was an easy 6 miles to fontana. Once at the road we called a shuttle and got a ride to the village. Fontana village is a created resort town thing for tourists, which is odd since they also cater to hikers. Almost every car there was some sort of sports car but there were a ton of oddly clad hikers wandering around. I was walking around in just long underwear because everything else was in the wash. Definitely an odd dynamic. Fontana was good though, two boxes of food from the parents (thanks!), showers, laundry and dinner I didn't have to cook. After time in the woods it doesn't take much to make one happy.

Today we found Peach! She pulled some miles and caught up to us. It didn't last long though cause she didn't make the shelter we are at. We hiked across the dam (photo below) and headed into the smokies! Today was a rough 15 miles of climbing up into the mountains. At the first peak we hiked .1 miles to a tower for an amazing view down at the dam. (photo below plus a random view with me in it) Looks like quite a distance to do in 2-3 hours but my legs felt great.

At the first shelter we stopped for dinner and saw a dragon. After dinner we decided to keep going and made it to Rufus field shelter. The thing about the smokies is there is no camping except at the shelters. This really restricts the options for distance. Another thing is all the shelters used to have cages across the front so bears couldn't get in. Hikers were feeding bears through the cages so they were all taken off. In the short term this means the bears think the shelters mean food and they don't have a barrier. Hopefully they will learn to stop associating shelters with food but for now it seems "interesting." We are planning on doing the smokies in 4 nights so we are pushing some miles now but I think we can do it. My hands are freezing so I apologize for any mistypes, I never proofread these things.

14 comments:

  1. OK, I have to ask: you saw a *dragon*?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I was going to ask about the dragon too! (I got extra bogged down in putting together the maps; never did find Locus Cove Gap.) This definitely warrants full explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NN, you rock! I can't believe how far you've gone already.
    I must say, going back a few entries, that had I known that there was a sanctioned naked hike involved, I'd have quit my job to come along. It is what it is, Dude.
    Oh, Dude, you may want to cut down on the white russians or whatever your enjoying out there as dragons are extremely rare. I'm thinking maybe there's been like, a mistake.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... Steve, you are too totally rad. Srsly.

      Delete
  4. I remember the cage fronts on shelters down there--from the 70s! If they've only recently been removed, that's a long stretch of learning and habit to undo. And you thought the bear bell and bear spray were silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I was reading on Travis' blog that most of the sports cars in Fontana turned out to be Chrysler Crossfires (I'd never heard of 'em before)... and that made me think of the MINI rallies I'm always getting emails about. So, I googled and found that there was indeed a Crossfire rally in Fontana from April 5 through April 8—and apparently there's an annual MINI rally there too. And get this: the MINI rally's called MOTD, MINIs On The Dragon! Turns out there's a stretch of road near Fontana called The Dragon; it features 318 curves in 11 miles, with a strictly enforced speed limit of 30 MPH (imagine dozens, maybe hundreds, of MINIs in a row, weaving through the countryside—heh)... Anyway, it's hard to believe that this is coincidental; but Arlen said they saw "a dragon," not "The Dragon"—so I'm still confused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday I realized what NN is probably referring to: the giant of the salamander family, known as dragon something or other.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite the logical evidence to the contrary, I'm convinced it was an actual dragon. Which leaves only one question: metallic or chromatic?

    Glad you're doing well, Arlen. Catch a blowbear for Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're called Hellbenders, at least what I'm thinking of.
    I'll shut up about the freakin dragon already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, c'mon! Don't stop posting comments (about the dragon or otherwise). The comments keep me engaged and laughing while I wait for Arlen's next post!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, everybody!! Have you seen the photo of Arlen in his new *hiking skirt* on Travis' blog? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tis a shame to go naked with fashion sense like that, lad.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Box in the mail to Erwin today - 4/13. It's got your kilt.
    Sounds like its been cold but clear. Guess those go together.
    By the way, I see from Peach's blog that Mr. Incredible and others are now the "ninja ducks". Oh my....

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Ninja, was anxious for update. I did notice, I think it was Nitrous' blog mentioned the "...day Ninja got cold" Congrats on your milage, truly amazing.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete