Monday, July 30, 2012

New Twists

On the 21st, we did 14 miles to Darlington Shelter. On the 22nd and 23rd, we zeroed at the Darlington Shelter because UV felt really bad. On the 24th, we did 7.3 miles to Cove Mountain Shelter. On the 25th, we did 14.4 miles to Table Rock--one mile before Peters Mountain Shelter. On the 26th, we did 14.3 miles to Yellow Springs Village campsite, an old coal mining village. On the 27th, we did 9.3 miles to a campsite before hitting PA 72 for the second time. On the 28th, we did 12.8 miles to 501 Shelter. On the 29th, we did 15.1 miles to Eagles Nest Shelter. On the 30th, we did 9 miles to Port Clinton where we are sleeping in the town pavilion.

Heading out of Boiling Springs, I was feeling pretty good. It was going to be incredibly flat for a while and I had just showered and done laundry. It was a good start. Clearly the trail needed to put me in my place a bit.

About midday, I checked my phone signal and noticed two emails, two texts, and a voice mail from my bank--not a good sign. I went ahead and called them and there was apparently some fraudulent activity on my debit card. So I got that card canceled and had a new one mailed to me... and by me I mean my dad's house. This is not overly convenient but the best option I had. So for probably a little over two weeks I had no debit card. Also, I had spent quite literally the last of my cash in Boiling Springs. That evening I counted my change. I had $2.90.

It was actually quite an interesting feeling knowing that I basically had no money and yet I also had nothing I could do about it. I was still in the middle of the woods and still had to hike. While it was not the ideal scenario, I actually came to realize that I'm glad it happened. I had never before felt truly hobo-like. I always joke with UV that I think hikers are hobos but now I was one in truth. I would soon be smelly, disgusting and, for the first time on the trail, broke so I couldn't do anything to alleviate the first two conditions. I decided that I should just embrace the whole experience.

One would think the trail had done its job of putting me in my place. One would be wrong. Two days out of Boiling Springs, I ran out of Aquamira (my water purification method). UV had some but not enough to do all of our water until Port Clinton. I decided it didn't make sense for us both to risk bad water so I would just risk it and UV could keep treating water. So for the hike between Duncannon and Port Clinton not only was I quite accurately playing the part of hobo but I was also risking my stomach's happiness with untreated water. I tried to do it as smart as possible, sticking to higher elevation springs when possible and not getting water from streams and, so far, it seems like I made it through okay. Besides zero money and potentially drinking liquid poison, the hike has been about the same. A fair number of rocks and UV is feeling better but, all in all, about the same.

Port Clinton has turned out to be the greatest trail town yet and it's all thanks to Ed. While trying to figure out how to get the three miles to Cabela's he pulled up and asked if we needed help. After hearing what we needed, he gave us a ride and told me to call him when we were done and we could get a ride back too. When I called him, he informed us that he and his wife were taking us out to dinner. After that, he took us to a specialty candy store and bought us a bunch of handmade chocolates and fresh roasted peanuts. All I could say was, "Thank you." It didn't feel like enough after everything he had done but he cheerily dropped us off and we thanked him again. The trail community once again makes me feel special.

So the plan to skip a section of trail is fairly solidified at this point. On August 19th, my mom will get me off the trail and I will stay in Gardiner until roughly the 22nd. UV will get to Maine via a bus to Portland and I'll have to figure out a way to get her; the day of that is still unknown but probably the 20th. Since I will soon (in 2-3 weeks) be hiking in New England and many people have said they wanted to hike with me, I figured I would discuss it.

People that want to do day hikes don't have to worry that much about planning, just give me a few days heads up and I should be able to have a road crossing available for a suitable day hike. Some people have expressed interest in a few day or even longer stretch. I am quite amenable to such a thing occurring but first discuss with me, via phone, text or email, about gear and the whole plan in general. There are some things you won't need since it would be repetitive with things I have and two isn't necessary and I have extras of some things if you are going to have to buy some gear. Don't be daunted by mileage or whatnot; that will all come rather naturally and since you are only out for a few days, it is honestly easier to push your body mileagewise. In an extended hiking trip you have to take it easy at first so you don't get burned out but if you are only on trail for a few days that isn't a big concern. Anyway, whether you want to hike for a few hours, a few days, or longer, just let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. Hiking the trail is an amazing experience and I am more than willing to share it with people.

3 comments:

  1. I dont know if you check the comments but I dont know how to get ahold of Greta or Yourself.... I was just wondering if you two know about what day you will be back here for the wedding!!! Also I hope both of you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because in this you say something about the 19th and my wedding is the 18th....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately interested in a day hike, possibly a couple. I don't think I'll push it with a 100 mile wilderness adventure. It'll be good to see you.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete