Monday, May 5, 2014

Feeling a Touch Under the Weather

On the 1st I did 16.7 miles and stayed at Chestnut Knob shelter. On the 2nd I did 14.8 miles and camped at Fort Bastion off of VA 615. On the 3rd I did 20.0 miles and camped a mile after Jenny Knob shelter. On the 4th I did 20.4 miles and stayed at Woods Hole hostel. On the 5th I did 15.0 miles and camped at a spring 5 miles outside of Pearisburg.

For the last few days I have felt a little under the weather. In the morning I usually feel pretty good but by the middle of the day I start to feel sluggish and just not quite with it. Today it was only mild so hopefully it was just a small little bug of some sort and it is gone now.

Below are some examples of what the trail looks like in Virginia. To people only used to the rocky and remote trail that is northern New England it hardly looks like the same trail. Both types of trail have their nice points and it is lovely that this one trail allows hikers to see such a variety of landscapes.




Besides my strange sluggish feelings the last few days of trail have been marked by two interesting off trail locations that I stayed. First off was Fort Bastion. This is a spot that an ex British SAS member is trying to turn into an outdoor wilderness survival school and so much more. So far he is just working on his own cabin and a bunkhouse for thru hikers but his vision includes everything from an equestrian center to "in the shit combat paintball." It was an interesting place to stay the night and the pizza guy delivered to it! Below is some of the work he has started.



The next spot that deserves a mention is Woods Hole Hostel. It was fantastic last time through and I definitely wasn't going to miss it this time. The food was absolutely fantastic for both dinner and breakfast. It came at a perfect time to lift my spirits as I was feeling a little down about how I was feeling. It always amazes me how the trail is able to provide the exact right thing at the exact right time. None quite like when I hiked out of town forgetting to buy toilet paper but meeting someone trying to give away toilet paper the first night. Woods Hole isn't THAT amazing but man did it hit the spot.


Oh and while there a hummingbird perched for me to take a picture. I don't think I've ever seen one just sit there and wait like that.


Well that's all for now. Onward towards the north!

2 comments:

  1. Your milage seems unaffected by your lessened energy of late! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlen, Good to talk to you yesterday. Glad you caught me before I left work. I agree with Steve that you mileage rate still seems pretty high. Hope you manage to stay ahead of the microbes and other causes of illness being experienced by many of the hikers behind you.
    I've noted that you are about ten days ahead of where you were 2 years ago. You got to Pearisburg on the 15th last time. ... and it was the 5th-6th this time.
    Unlike Jan on her bike trip, at least you have managed not to be hit by a car.
    I hope it stays sunny but not too hot. That hiker from the PCT has just been spoiled....

    ReplyDelete