Monday, May 15, 2017

Seeing the Unexpected

The trip out of Idyllwild involved the largest vertical climb that I've done on the trail, so far. It started with a steep side trail to get back to the PCT and then continued with another steep side trail to get over the peak. While the PCT seems to be fairly gradual and not outrageously taxing per mile it doesn't always go exactly where you really want to go, especially near towns. The climb was definitely worth it when I finally got to the peak. At 10,834 feet it makes for the tallest peak I've ever done!
Luckily, the elevation didn't seem to bother me much. I think most of the time I was out of breath due to my fitness level and full food resupply, instead of the altitude. I had to trudge through some snow near the peak - I quickly learned that following footprints can sometimes be the opposite of the correct thing to do. All in all, the side trek to the peak was well worth it.





After the peak, the trail had 30 miles of downhill in store for me. It is an interesting experience to hike from a snowy peak down to flat desert in a day and a half. The low elevation, flat terrain, and strong sun drove home the fact that it does not have to actually be that hot in the desert to feel oppressive. I don't think the temperature was above 70, but all I could think about was shade. Unfortunately, the only thing around was a wind farm.


A few days after hiking past the wind farm, much to my surprise, along the side of the trail was a private zoo. Apparently, this zoo is a location that animals used in films get trained. The only animals I could see from outside were a grizzly bear and a lion. There is something deeply depressing about seeing these kinds of animals in small enclosures after spending two weeks walking through fairly remote mountains. Even in public zoos, one can argue that the education to the public is a net positive for the captivity of animals. This doesn't seem to be true for a private zoo. The zoo wasn't the end of surprises for the day though. Near the end of the day, I came upon a couch and dumpster filled with trail magic just sitting next to the trail. A free soda and a soft place to sit are always appreciated along the trail.



That trail magic was provided by Big Bear Hostel so it seemed appropriate to stay there once I got to Big Bear City. Big Bear is at mile 266, which is pretty good for two weeks into my journey. Ten percent of the way there! Later today, I'll be heading back to the trail with a full five days of food. My backpack is much heavier than I would prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment