Wednesday, August 30, 2017

One More To Go!

I am currently at Trout Lake, mile 2226.4. Only 425 miles remain on this fantastic journey. It feels strange to be nearing the end so quickly. The large jump I did to avoid forest fires cut 5 days and despite the fact that 5 days in a 5 month trip isn't much, it just accelerated the end. It will be odd to have to adjust to sleeping inside again. I think I have only slept inside 14 nights in the last 4 months. I think I sleep better in my tent than in a bed.

Anyway, the last few days of Oregon were pretty nice. There were some great views of mountains that were covered in glaciers. The trail was pretty easy, the only downside was the Eagle Creek side trail, which goes through tunnel falls, was closed due to a fire but it seemed appropriate for this years Oregon experience. The last bit of Oregon was a long descent down to Cascade Locks and the Bridge of the Gods. It felt a little odd to drop to an elevation of about 100 ft but the trail did not disappoint. I was back around 4000 ft by the next day. Since that was the end of another section here are the statistics for that section.

Ashland to Cascade Locks
Days - 14 (8/12 - 8/25)
Miles - 295 (rough estimate due to side trails and hitches)
Zeros - 1
Avg mpd w/ 0's - 21.1
Avg mpd w/o 0's - 22.7
Total steps - 700,940
Avg steps - 50,067
Highest steps - 70,381

Once in Washington the trail made sure to test me just make sure I was supposed to be there. The second day was a day with two big climbs and I did about 26 miles. I couldn't figure it out but my feet and legs were killing me and I had by far the worst chafing on the whole trail. It didn't make sense, the trail had been hard but not that bad. Once I laid down at the end of the day it finally made sense - I had a fever. Clearly my body had redirected its energies towards that problem and legs and feet had taken a back seat. My fever broke during the night and I felt great the next day. What the experience taught me is if I can do 26 miles, including two big climbs, with a fever I'm pretty sure I can keep doing 25 miles a day through Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment