Sunday, March 30, 2014

The "Wonderful" Weather Continues

Out of Hiawassee I did 9 miles and camped at the North Carolina state line. Then I did 15.3 miles and camped at Carter Gap Shelter. Then I did 12.1 miles and slept in Rock Gap shelter.

Finishing my first state this time around did not have the same sense of accomplishment. It felt good but last time I remember it meaning a lot more. Just for completeness I took a photo.

After that day there was rain. Lots of rain. Two full days of cold, windy rain. In the midst of it all I did hit the 100 mile mark and was able to keep my spirits up.

After two days and nights of cold, wet rain I decided to sleep in the shelter at Rock Gap. Unfortunately it was completely full and there were almost no flat spots. Someone offered me a hammock and I grudgingly accepted. I had never tried to hammock sleep and figured this was an opportunity to try. Last night was 20 degrees and snowed slightly. What I learned from that combination is that hammocks are quite cold and extremely uncomfortable. To make up for very little sleep and cold feet today I went into Franklin to dry out. I am doing laundry and grabbing a bite to eat and heading back to trail today. The weather looks warmer and sunnier, hopefully the weather isn't lying. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Way to sell the "fun" of hiking the AT, Arlen! The weather sounds extremely challenging; glad to hear your spirits are pulling through. Order up some warmer stuff for a couple of weeks from now, okay?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete